Best way to ask the user to wait?

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 31 04:14:40 EST 2005

Hi listers

I'd like to put up a kind of advisory note to the user saying something
like

"Please wait while we process your request"

I don't want any reaction from the user, such as clicking on "OK" or
"Cancel" - I just want to warn her/him that it may take some time to
complete the next task. During this period, I have a nice animation for
the person to look at, but I don't really want to add my note to the
animated display. I suppose the usual thing is to put the cursor into
'hourglass' or 'pizza' mode (according to platform) and of course I can
do this, but I just want to show my message first.

What's the best way to implement this, do you think?

TIA

Graham