final, final word on weird checkbox behavior

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Wed Mar 30 19:38:35 EST 2005

I went around and around on this, here and on the old HC list. I
outsmarted myself several times, in several ways. A few nice people
tried to assist. If I were better at this, it would not have been a
big deal.

After much trial and error, mostly error, the bottom line is...

When another script sends a mouseup to a radio button or checkbox in
HC, the script works in every way, except the hilite of the button is
not affected. To get the hilite to change, you have to set hilite to
true or false in the script of each button, or use "click at the loc
of..." instead of "send mouseup to..."

(At least this is true on my machines, on my stacks. I suppose YMMV.)

All the other nonsense I posted on this topic was just me outsmarting myself.

I watched the message watcher. Radio buttons and checkboxes don't
seem to send a message regarding setting hilite. I guess it's
something native to that button type, internal and mysterious.

This might be of some interest to someone. Maybe not... I don't know
if Rev buttons have the same idiosyncrasy. I doubt it, but I'll know
what to look for now.

Should I post this on the HC list, too, or is everybody already
cross-subscribed? Would anyone care? Maybe everyone already knew
this...

Cheers,

Tim Miller