[noob again]objects and properties and messages

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 29 02:18:02 EST 2005

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
> At 7:34 PM +1200 3/28/05, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> As I'd written, it returns all properties which are returned in "the
>> properties", as in:
>>
>>    get the properties of button 1
>>
>> This includes read-only properties like ID.
>>
>> If you find any properties not returned by that function submit a
>> Bugzilla report and when they fix it in the engine it'll automatically
>> work in 4W Props too.
>

> Actually, quite a few properties aren't reported by the properties
> property. I quote:
>
> "Not every property is included in the properties property. The
> following types of properties are excluded:
>
> * Read-only properties
>
> * The script property and custom properties
>
> * Synonyms: Only one synonym for each property is included.
>
> * Duplicates: Properties that are functionally duplicated by other
> properties are not included. For example, the rectangle property is
> included, but not the height, width, top, bottom, left, right, or
> location properties, because you can derive all of them from the
> object's rectangle.
>
> * Properties other than object properties: Global properties, local
> properties, properties of a character or chunk in a field, and
> adjectives such as short that are implemented internally as properties
> are all excluded.
>
> * Others: Some other properties are excluded."
>
> I can't remember offhand what the "some other properties" were at the
> time that was written. If I recall correctly, the properties property
> was implemented specifically to make the Profile Manager possible, and
> Kevin wanted the flexibility to exclude properties if need be for that
> reason.

Thanks for the background.

Duplicates don't bother me, and although it is a property I've always
treated the script separately.

In the absence of "the properties" actually returning the properties,
where might one find such a list so I can add those to 4W Props?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation