[noob again]objects and properties and messages

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:15:27 EST 2005

> > Completely by accident I discover the tabStop property for fields, and
> > shread a bunch of code from the field, cursing the whole time that the
> > tabStop property isn't listed on the Properties palette for fields,
> > (at least as far as I could see).
>
> Well, it *is*, but it's under the Table section.
AAAAUGH!  Well, at least I can claim coining "Learning by Surprise".

> If you are coming from HyperCard or SuperCard, I agree, backgrounds can be
> frustrating, but only if you think of them as "backgrounds". If you rather
> think of them as shared groups (much like sharedText is for fields), then it
> is conceptually easier. I understand why in many cases Rev uses "background"
> and "group" interchangeably, but it can certainly be confusing for people
> used to traditional backgrounds.
I think I understand the way groups operate, but the vocabulary is
not, IMHO descriptive.  If you look at the buttons - Group, Edit
Group, and Select Grouped, that isn't exactly what is meant, now is
it?  In addition, the changes to the icons with color and bolding
don't intuitively trigger anything, at least at first.  Now is bold
when it's property is active or inactive?  Is the red background
when...

I think that handling needs a mulligan, much like The Phantom Menace
and Attack of the Clones need a mulligan.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."