A great Windows TIP!

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Mon Mar 28 06:07:57 EST 2005

Doing professional tools means you respect the professional way of reporting
errors right?

I write compiled runrev NT administration tools for NT servers and these
dont usually know how to report errors to the system.

A log file is always helpful but maybe you need to log the errors into the
NT event log so that other programs can see the error. We use MS MOM at work
<http://www.microsoft.com/mom/evaluation/overview/wgoverview.mspx> now and
this generates constant domain scans for NT events and alerts the right
people! So there's a big benefit to this.

I saw some vbs code to log in events but it was long and complex - not
efficient ;).

There is a simple shell tool to do this however. It's in the NT 4 and
Win2000 Resource kit available at ms site.

logevent [-m <\\ComputerName>] [-s ] [-c ] [-r ""] [-e ] [-t ] ""

thanks to
<http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/15910/15910.html>

cheers
Xavier