"rather not have apps... from a web page"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 27 20:01:35 EST 2005

Thomas McGrath III wrote:
 > On Mar 27, 2005, at 2:28 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> Just make your app a single-window executable which periodically
 >> checks your server for updates and downloads them.  You can do
 >> it all from within your app, so the admin doesn't have to do
 >> another install everytime you update and you save your users
 >> the step of going to another program (the browser) to get updated.
 >>
 >> You're welcome to borrow any useful parts you need from the
 >> devolution setup stack:
 >> <http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/>
 >
 > What do you do about the parts of the engine that need included in
 > certain stacks?

Put as little as possible in the app and the app needs little change.
I've run some shell apps like this for years, updating only accompanying
stackfiles.

 > WHat if you change your mind later and decide that you need pieces
 > in the project? Do you just include everything?

For devolution I keep a list of components with version numbers, derived
from a custom prop.  So I just get the small text list, compare local
versions to those in the list, and download what's needed.

 > I know the downloads can be just stacks, right? Is there a way to
 > include ide parts there?

I don't think I understand:  "IDE parts"?  Will these users be running
licensed copies of Rev?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation