larger/smaller fonts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 27 19:31:31 EST 2005

It's common in many apps that display large blocks of text to have a
Larger Font and Smaller Font menu item or control as a convenience for
the user.  In most apps this applies to all text, whether styled or not,
and regardless of whether the text was all one size or mixed.

I've had a request to do this in one of my Rev-based apps, but it's not
so easy:  adjusting the size of the field will not affect any styled
text within it, requiring some means of adjusting things by character or
style run.

More efficient than walking through characters would be to manipulate
the htmlText of the field, since in most cases the number of <font> tags
should be fewer than the number of characters.

But for a really large block of text this will still be relatively
inefficient.

Suggestions?

Is it worth requesting a new language feature to have the engine do
this?  If so, what syntax do you feel would be appropriate?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation