Rev and Externals

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Mar 23 13:15:36 EST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Dar Scott wrote:

> But we shouldn't let library suppliers hear about this.  We should
> encourage them to keep to a well-defined interface.

Why encourage?  We should take library developers out back and flog
them when they make major api changes that could break things ;-)

I hate to make api changes that break things but I made a silly mistake
in the api for version 1 of the libDatabase libray where I swapped the
order of parameters for libdb_updateTable so that it didn't match the
order of parameters for libdb_addToTable.  libdb_addToTable takes the
data array to add first and the search field (used to get a table
description) second.  libdb_updateTable took the array of fields to
search on first and the array of date to update second.

So in order to create some unity between the two calls and to make the
parameter order more in synch with the order of things in a SQL
statement (UPDATE TABLE ... SET ... WHERE) I decided to swap the
parameter order in libdb_updateTable for version 2 (which isn't
released yet).  I had to change a lot of my code when I did it but I
sleep better at night now.

I realized this could cause some problems for anyone who might be using
the library (Andre in particular) but I do mean things like that
sometimes.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia