The paradigm of containers and self-referenced names

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Mar 23 11:58:13 EST 2005

On 3/23/05 10:37 AM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> The meaning of a name in Revolution--container or literal--depends on
> its usage beyond a particular instance.

I think that if Rev were modified so that it would not accept unquoted
strings to be assigned to variables we'd be in a much better place, and it
wouldn't give aid to "sloppy" (IMHO) programming.

So:

  put "apple" into theFruit
  put theFruit

  --> apple

  put apple into theFruit
  put theFruit

  --> (empty)

So in the second instance, 'apple' is immediately looked at as a varible
because it is unquoted, and since apple hasn't been used before, it is
instantiated to empty and its value (empty) assigned to the variable
'theFruit'.

Just my 2 cents on this thread...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software