Rev and Externals

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Mar 23 11:56:20 EST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:52 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I usually go even further and create proxy functions that wrap around
> third party transcript libs. I always did that, but it was since my
> last talk with Trevor that I thought that this might be a good tip for
> the rest of the community.

But we shouldn't let library suppliers hear about this.  We should
encourage them to keep to a well-defined interface.

On the other hand, the knowledge of the common use of adaptors might
encourage suppliers of competing libraries to enter the fray, since
that would make crossover easier.

Of course, if users use commands or functions not intended to be
exported or use exported ones in ways not defined by the library docs,
then they take their lumps if things break in new library releases.

Do your proxy functions take up one of the 50 stacksInUse allowed in a
standalone?  Or do they form a script segment you copy and paste as
needed?

Dar