OT? Apache SSL Stack?

Rick Harrison harrison at all-auctions.com
Wed Mar 23 01:04:30 EST 2005

On Mar 22, 2005, at 10:16 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

> It's worth noting that these instructions are for Mac OS X _Server_
>> http://developer.apple.com/server/security_ssl.html
>
> While these are for ordinary MacOS X (consumer/client/whatever)
>> http://developer.apple.com/internet/serverside/modssl.html

Brian,

Ok, that makes sense.

> mod_ssl is simply the Apache module (i.e. "plugin"). Apache SSL is a
> separately maintained product, and will require a lot more work if you
> aren't comfortable on the command-line. If you already have Apple's
> Apache installed, you'll want to enable mod_ssl, _not_ try to replace
> Apache with Apache SSL. Personally, I would use mod_ssl regardless as
> it'll always work with a vanilla Apache installation.

That's good to know too.

> See this quote
>> Apache-SSL is not mod_ssl
>> There appears to be some confusion regarding Apache-SSL and mod_ssl.
>> To set the record straight: mod_ssl is not a replacement for
>> Apache-SSL - it is an alternative, in the same way that Apache is an
>> alternative to Netscape/Microsoft servers, or Linux is an alternative
>> to FreeBSD. It is a matter of personal choice as to which you run.
>> mod_ssl is what is known as a 'split' - i.e. it was originally
>> derived from Apache-SSL, but has been extensively redeveloped so the
>> code now bears little relation to the original.
>>
>> Apache-SSL continues to be developed and maintained, our main focus
>> being on reliability, security and performance, rather than features
>> and bells and whistles. I hope this makes things clear. (Adam
>> Laurie).

This is the exact quote I was looking at before when I was referring to
confusion about mod_ssl vs. Apache SSL.
I saw it sometime about a month and a half ago but didn't find it today
when I was looking for it.

> Hope that helps- I know it doesn't solve your problem of creating a
> stack, but you may have more success with the mod_ssl link that was
> posted than what you were using, especially if you're not on MacOS X
> Server. If it goes smoothly, you could probably hatch the shell
> commands together into a Rev stack without too much trouble...
>
> - Brian

That helps a bunch Brian, because it tells me for sure which direction
I need to proceed.  Mod_ssl it is!!!

Thanks!

Rick