Different platforms, different displayed effects ?

Robert J. Earp bob.earp at ashford.ca
Mon Mar 21 17:33:34 EST 2005

Many moons ago I was a sorta scripthead with SC and had to move to
ToolBook to keep the bills payed. I graciously accept all sympathy,
thanks !!

Anyhow, I am now moving everything to Rev and am having a lot of issues,
unfortunately more so than going from SC to TB.   Most of the problems
is me having brain farts, but some of them are just weird.

There's likely going to be a lot of obtuse questions I'll post, but to
start with I don't seem to get close to the same effects and/or
performance when going from a Mac to a PC or to other PC's.  An example
is the various visual effects.

Given this;

on mouseUp
  put the textColor of fld "Foo" into Ltemp
  set the textColor of fld "Foo" to white
  lock screen
  set the textColor of fld "Foo" to Ltemp
  unlock screen with visual effect dissolve
end mouseUp

On a Mac OS-X platform the fld shows as a dissolve, but there's a flash
at the end
On a HP Pavilion zv500 running WinXP  it doesn't do much at all, maybe a
slight flash.  More like a straight "show obj".
On a WinXP PC desktop it works OK, but grossly different in speed (of
dissolve) to the Mac.

I certainly don't expect things to be identical or even close, but I can
likely script around that if I know where the problems lie.  So, has
anybody written notes or a paper on areas to watch when developing cross
platform ?

More to the point, has anybody else moved from TB to Rev and would like
to commiserate with me over some fine Vancouver beer ? :-P

Thanks, Bob...