Global Madness

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Tue Mar 22 01:15:35 EST 2005

I have encountered this bug quite frequently, usually (but not always)
when I *add* a new global to a list of existing globals.  For example,
if I have a set of globals used from card to card at the top of each
card script, e.g.,:

global a,b,c

and on a particular card I *add* another global, e.g.,:

global a,b,c,d

then d often is undeclared (i.e., not even empty)

Two cures, but only one works absolutely:

1.  put the new global on a new global line:
global a,b,c
global d -- sometimes still fails

2. before using in the first cd script put some value (e.g., 0) into
the new global:

put 0 into d -- fix global bug

in this latter case, d now functions correctly as a true global

--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor