repeating a string

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Mar 21 20:52:11 EST 2005

Cubist at aol.com wrote:

>   What would this function do if handed a non-integer, or completely
>non-numeric, value for "reps"?

a. Give an error when executed
b. Truncate it to the next lower integer value

>Also, I am somewhat uncomfortable with the notion of
>uninitialized variables.

There is no such thing in Rev. It is defined (and documented) that
variable which have no specified initial value are created as empty.

>And I suspect that "put before" might actually be a
>bit faster than "put after", albeit the actual time difference isn't likely to
>be significant in *most* cases.

Sorry, not correct.  put after is much, much faster.

For a medium size case (50,000 copies of a 4 character string),
put before     2405 msec
put after            12 msec

Yep - the new version is 200 times slower than put after. It gets worse
if the number of copies gets larger.