repeating a string

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 21 07:54:38 EST 2005

& operator  (string)

Platform support:
Introduced in version 1.0

Concatenates two strings.

string1 & string2

put "foo" & "bar" -- evaluates to "foobar"
put myVar & return & return into otherVar
get offset(return & space, theData)

See also: && operator, , operator, combine command, Operator Precedence
Reference

Description
Use the & operator to create a single string out of two or more parts.

Parameters:
The operands string1 and string2 are literal strings of characters
(delimited with double quotes), or expressions that evaluate to
strings.

Comments:
The result of the & operator is a string consisting of string1 followed
by string2.
&& operator  (string)

Platform support:
Introduced in version 1.0

Concatenates two strings and inserts a space between them.

string1 && string2

put "my" && "house" -- evaluates to "my house"
put field "First" && field "Last" into field "Name"
find it && "Card"

See also: & operator, , operator, Operator Precedence Reference

Description
Use the && operator to combine two strings with a space between
them--for example, to combine two words or phrases.

Parameters:
The operands string1 and string2 are literal strings of characters
(delimited with double quotes), or expressions that evaluate to
strings.

Comments:
The result of the && operator is a string consisting of string1, a
space, and string2.

The && operator is equivalent to & space &. In other words,
   "this" && "that"
does the same thing as
   "this" & space & "that"

On Mar 20, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Mikey wrote:

> For the life of me I can't remember if there's a command (and I can't
> find one in the docs) to repeat a string.
>
> For example, to generate "aaa", I could write "a"&"a&

Thomas J. McGrath III
SCS
1000 Killarney Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15234