protecting images in a standalone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 18 21:44:39 EST 2005

On 3/18/05 6:47 PM, docmann wrote:

> Hello folks,
> Maybe someone out there can point me in the right direction...
> I'm finally getting started with my standalone DB app and need some
> ideas on how to go about protecting a *bunch* of jpg images that are
> used in the database. My preference is to continue hosting them on a
> remote server for use as needed, but the new consensus is that I need
> to built a fully standalone app. :(
>
> I've thought about just dumping them into a folder using an odd file
> naming convention along with an extention other than jpg, which would
> deter most average folks from pilfering.
>
> On the other hand, although there is no great value to anyone other
> than a few potential competitors, this will be a commercial app and
> the images are of a certain proprietary nature.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions for a better protection scheme that could be
> incorporated into a REV app?

You could put each image into a stack as a custom property. If the
images aren't too large, you could put more than one in each stack. Then
start using the stack, extract the custom property as needed, and load
it into an image object on your main stack. If you password-protect the
storage stack, the data content will be scrambled with the image content
if anyone tries to look at it in a text editor. It would be disguised on
casual inspection.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com