Trial software and registering

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Mar 18 15:40:37 EST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 11:07 AM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> check the creation date of the latest file as my check file for the
>> current date and compare that against the timeout date.
>>
> Why is that not "vulnerable  to turning back the system clock" ?
> If I set my system clock to a year ago, then each time I access the
> web, I'll create my cookie files with dates in 2004.

Perhaps, that would not be vulnerable to _temporarily_ turning back the
system clock.  It might be reasonable to check for dates lots of places
and then assume that the current real date is the latest of those or
later.  One can't prove that a demo is valid, but it the assumption
holds then one can prove that it has expired.

Dar