Trial software and registering

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 16 15:50:29 EST 2005

Actually, I will not buy software that does this!!! I travel a lot and
my primary computer is my laptop. There are hundreds of times when I'm
just not connected.

If the software is GOOD and I want it then the best approach has always
been for me a polite reminder. This tells me that the company who makes
the software WANTS me as a customer and is willing to be polite about
it. Where as being treated like I can't be trusted, I usually just
trash the software and look else where. Unless of course it is the best
software I've ever seen and I just gotta have it. Which is hardly ever
the case.

FWIW

Tom

On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Mikey wrote:

> One of the nicer ways to do this now is to have your application
> "phone home" via a TCP/IP connection.  To activate the software, the
> software has to be able to connect with your server.  Every launch it
> has to reconnect to ensure that it still has privileges.  At the end
> of the time period, it gets notification that its time is up and
> that's it.

Thomas J McGrath III
3mcgrath at adelphia.net

412-831-3094
220 Drake Road
Bethel Park, PA 15102

<*)) >=<
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways - a Cigar in one hand - a large steak in the other -
your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO
HOO! What a Ride!"