Trial software and registering

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Mar 16 12:55:36 EST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Mikey wrote:

> One of the nicer ways to do this now is to have your application
> "phone home" via a TCP/IP connection.  To activate the software, the
> software has to be able to connect with your server.  Every launch it
> has to reconnect to ensure that it still has privileges.  At the end
> of the time period, it gets notification that its time is up and
> that's it.
>
> This keeps people from rolling dates back on their systems.

But what if I want to use the software on my laptop with no internet
connection (on a plane, etc.)?  I usually try out new software under
these conditions.  It really isn't a problem to connect the first time
to activate the software but connecting on every launch would be a
problem.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia