mouseDown/mouseUp problem

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Tue Mar 15 22:16:43 EST 2005

I've got a button which, when it is pressed and held, I want to do some
things (brief and repetitive) and then do some other things once it is
released.  I've got handlers in the button script:

on mouseDown
	repeat while the mouse is down
		-- do stuff repeatedly while mouse is down
	end repeat
	-- do some quick cleanup code before exiting
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
	-- do stuff now that the button as been released
end mouseUp

My mouseUp handler is not being called.  Well that's not really true;
it has been called exactly once in maybe a couple of dozen trials.  I
haven't been able to repeat this and I have no idea what was different
the one time that the mouseUp message was sent.  To mention the
obvious, the message watcher shows me that the mouseUp message simply
isn't being sent.  I assume I am running into some well-documented
process where my repeat in the mouseDown handler eats the mouseUp but
I'm not seeing it.  Can someone give me some guidance?

For what it is worth this is under Mac OS X 10.3.8

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at charter.net

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"