Opening Sockets on localhost

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Mar 15 20:05:49 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:

> If I open socket to "localhost" and look at the result, it's empty,
> which means the socket got created. If I subsequently use close socket
> "localhost", that works, too. If, before I close the socket I try to
> open it again, I get the expected error indicating the socket is
> already open. So far, so good.
>
> However, if I append a port to the open socket command, nothing
> happens. open socket to "localhost:8080" followed immediately by "cloe
> socket "localhost:8080" returns "socket is not open."
>
> OS X 10.3.8, Rev 2.5.1.
>
> Is this broken or am I misunderstanding something or...???

Possibly neither.

open socket "localhost"      is equivalent to    open socket "localhost:80"
the default port is 80, which is generally used for HTTP connections.
This should succeed if your machine is able (willing) to accept http
connections, and otherwise it should fail.  Sounds like it succeeds on
your machine.

open socket "localhost:8080"    should fail, unless you have some
process on your machine accepting connections on port 8080 - fairly
unlikely, so I'd expect it to fail.