Poll: the sum(7,9)

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Tue Mar 15 12:27:24 EST 2005

> It's this:  How do you mentally process simple addition/subtraction
> facts?  What actually happens in your brain to elicit 16 when you hear
> 7+9? (for example)

Great thread....

I  find I use a variety of strategies depending in large part on my "mood"
and how much sleep I've gotten.  Simple problems  are  essentially "seen" as
the answer (no apparent digital manipulation real or imagined). More complex
are dealt with semi-conventionally.. (E.g. 18 + 24.. 8 +  4 = 2 and the
answer is 42.. No guessing a range for the answer or adding 2+1+1).
Sometimes I use the approximate the answer and then adjust 18 + 24 < 44 and
ends in 2.

However, your question specifically asked about "hearing". I process things
differently when my brain "hears" them as opposed to when my brain "sees"
them. Aurally, I would store the first number and the process whatever the
second is by a more conventional approach of adding digits from the right
unless I chose to take the time to form a visual image of the entire
problem. In other words, my math shortcuts tend to be visual (pattern
recognition) and I can use them only after I form a visual image of the
problem. Otherwise, I'm old school.

Jim