QuickTime conundrum

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Mar 14 09:56:53 EST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 5:38 AM, xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I think I found the problem... It is not with Runrev entirely but more
> likely with
> QuickTime!!! I tested it against mplayer32, winamp video or mediaplayer
> and only QT has this problem! I didn't play with QT's video system
> settings.
>
> All is by default...
>
> Open a couple apps in Windows. Any of them being Quicktime.
> Start playing the movie...
>
> In the taskbar, rightclick the application left of QT and when that
> contextmenu
> will show, you will see the shadow of the menu fliquer like the menus
> did
> in
> RunRev.

One thing to remember is that this doesn't show a bug in QuickTime
necessarily, but in the QuickTime Player.  QuickTime Player is a just
another application that makes use of the QuickTime Framework.  It may
be that Revolution and QuickTime Player both need to handle visible
players a little differently through the QT API when menus are showing.
  It might be as simple as tasking the movie less often.

> Quicktime's implementations on windows have been more than crappy and
> buggy than anything else I've seen doing videos on Windows, so im not
> surprised... I've seen the same on Macs with Mis Office... ;)
>
> Then again, it could be the dark side causing this too or Steve thinks
> that
> users of quicktime will migrate to mac when they see a good app running
> on a (by public default) bad os...
>
> Of the dozens of different video players available on PCs, we're stuck
> with the
> very worst of the bunch! But it's better than none! ;)

If you are going to support one multimedia architecture QuickTime is a
no-brainer.  As you said, the others are "video" players.  QuickTime is
a multimedia architecture.  It does a lot more then Real or WiMP.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com