Fwd: OT: Severe Mac Mini problem

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Mon Mar 14 04:31:38 EST 2005

Hello there,

I had some troubles too in learning how to manage my own mac mini video
output but all is ok yet. To save the right resolution in the screen
panel preference, i installed Timbuktu pro 8.0 on the mac mini and
manage it remotely from my powerbook witch run a Timbuktu pro 7.0
issue. You can try too in using VNC but this does'nt work as well for
me.

To avoid to have the mac mini automatically switching back to the low
800*600 points resulution, be aware to never let the mac mini video
port empty : if no monitor have to be connected to it, let the DVI/VGA
CONNECTOR plugged in instead.

Hope this help,

Best,

Le 14 mars 05, à 06:39, Terry Vogelaar (de Mare) a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have a severe problem with a Mac Mini I bought and I hope someone
> can help me. I am sorry for this off-topic post, but I wouldn't know
> who else I could ask.
>
> I made an application in Revolution to display texts on a LCD
> projector. I previously used a mediaeval Windows laptop to run that
> on, but it responded way too slow. So I bought a Mac mini 10 days ago
> and tried it. But it didn't work. I called the Apple helpdesk and they
> didn't have a clue. I got some tips on other lists; some useful
>
> The problem is (probably) that when the Mac detects a monitor it
> hasn't known yet, it defaults to the 800x600 resolution during
> startup. But the LCD projector accepts only 1024x768 or higher.
> Because the previous monitor used a 1024x768 resolution it starts with
> that. So first it shows the grey Apple logo with the spinning wheel.
> But then it detects the unknown screen and defaults to the unsupported
> 800x600 resolution, so the screen turns blue. Because the Mac Mini
> only can use 1 screen at a time, I couldn't think of a way to change
> the settings without being able to see the screen.
>
> So do any of you know a solution to this problem? Are there 'hubs' to
> split one VGA signal into two 'screens' (that both display the same)?
> Is there a way to change the default settings to a higher resolution?
>
> I tried an AppleScript that ran on startup to change the screen
> settings automatically. The script worked with my test monitor; not
> with the LCD projector. Others suggested to boot the Mac Mini without
> monitor and then connect the LCD projector. No result. I also heard
> that hitting F7 might help. Nothing. Also booting with another
> monitor, switching to 1024x768 and then connecting the LCD projector
> didn't work.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Terry

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores