Printing Question - Rephrased

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Fri Mar 11 15:01:19 EST 2005

Hi Len,
I am by far no expert but...

Is the problem you're having with scaling of the image or is it with margins
from your printer (e.g. Placement)?

If I size images (or whatever) based on 72 whatevers per inch and then print
at 100% I get images that are the size I expect. For example if I want my
printed image to be 1.5"x2", I'd set the size of the image to 108x144 pixels
and when I print I'll get what I expect.

However if you are trying to print an image at a precise location on a page,
you need to account for the margins and, perhaps, use printMargins again
using 72 whatevers as your scaling factor. NOTE: I'm not sure but I bet the
minimum allowable depends on the printer you are using and if you are
printing on plastic cards it may be weird. My HP uses 0.25" min. and some
photo printers allow you to have 0 margins.

Hope this helps? (Way to simplistic is my guess).

Jim

btw: My approach would be to have a substack that is a "virtual" card.
Size a card at 153x243 (2.125 x 3.375), place an image object where the
photo should go and size it appropriately, set the lockLocation to true (so
it won't change) and then load it with the image of your choosing (scaled to
fit). Set the printMargins to 0,0,0,0 and see what you get. If the whole
thing prints offset... Measure how far off it is.. Convert that to dots and
shift everything on the card to the left and up the required amount.
Finally, subtract that # of "dots" from the right and bottom of the card and
it should work?
Of course, I could be wrong as 1) I haven't actually tried this, 2) I'm on a
Mac and 3) I'm often wrong.

--
James H. MacConnell

Consensus Technology, LLC