How many cards can you have to a stack?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Mar 11 14:32:37 EST 2005

Kevin....

There's no theoretical limit on the number of cards a stack can contain
other than the usual constraint of how much memory your system has. I
know there are Rev apps out there with tens of thousands of cards.

That said, your question seems to be wanting to find out not the limit
on cards but how new cards get created and what happens to other cards.

If you have a stack with one card you're using for an "About" screen
and you want a second card in the same stack to serve another purpose
(e.g., preferences), you just have to create a new card in the stack,
which you can do several ways including selecting "New Card" from the
Object menu. Once you lay out this new card's design, you can switch
back and forth between the About card and the Preferences card by using
standard card navigation (go next, go prev, go first, go last, or even
go to card "About"). The About card probably didn't get deleted, it
just got hidden when you showed the Preferences card. The opposite will
also happen.

Now, with all of *that* said, you *probably* want to use multiple
stacks for this particular situation. For example, your preferences
card's contents can't be modified and stored at runtime if you create a
standalone application out of this stack. So there's a whole design
paradigm you need to think about as well. Rev is really different from
other app development environments you may know and getting your head
around these basic concepts is not difficult but it's not simple and
it's certainly essential.

Dan