Using Rev as a screensaver

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Wed Mar 9 23:48:04 EST 2005

Hi,

I know there are some isues pertaining to Revolution not being able
to generate a Cocoa code bundle that can then be deployed as a screen
saver.

I'm wondering if someone knows of an existing screensaver module that
will Launch a user defined application? That way, I can have my own
Revolution based screen saver launched for playback.

I'm using this to create an app that will launch a Rev app that will
playback a user definable list of QT movies. This list can be
configured, edited and in later versions, I intend to have them check
periodically with a main server to pull down new updates and new
playlists automatically.

My idea is so that we can have marketing messages played back on the
screensavers of idling computers at a retail store and I can have
centrally administered control for all of these.

So I figured that all I will need is a simple player that can be
launched and it will have a palette window that will put itself on
the topmost layer among all the windows. It is possible to do this in
RealBasic but from my preliminary analysis, the player is easy in
RealBasic but it will take more time to deal with all the other
functions including auto-download/cache across the network etc.

Jesse Sng