problem renaming/deleting files on other 'volumes' (OSX)

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 9 20:51:51 EST 2005

Hi Sarah - the file path is absolutely correct (and includes
"/Volumes/") - I can copy a file to the same location I'm trying to
rename ok. The result returns "can't rename file" or "can't delete
file" (depending on whether I call the 'rename' or 'delete' command)
which although accurate isn't particularly helpful.

Cheers,

Terry...

Hi Terry,

This is probably a stupid question, but are you sure the file path is
correct?
If the drive is a networked drive, then the path has to be prefixed by
"/Volumes/". This may also be true for a directly connected non-boot
drive.

Have you tried getting "the result" after the delete command? That
might give a clue, especially if you use something like:
delete file myFilePath
if the result is not empty then answer error "Can't delete file " &
myFilePath & cr & the result

Cheers,
Sarah