problem renaming/deleting files on other 'volumes' (OSX)

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Mar 9 19:19:18 EST 2005

Do you also have write permission to the directory *containing* the
file(s) and/or folder(s) you are trying to rename and/or delete?

Even if you are the owner of the containing directory, make sure you
have write permission (if you are the owner you can give this to
yourself), since you need that in order to rename/delete contained
items.

Think of it this way (UNIX, and thus OS X, does):

Since the 'directory' is essentially a 'list' of files and file
equivalents (directories, named pipes, "special files" representing
devices, etc.), the contained items are separate entities, but the
*name* of the item is stored in the directory itself, meaning that to
change the name you must be able to change the directory.

In UNIX (and thus in OS X if using a UFS file system, the permissions
work the same if using HFS), it is possible for one file to be pointed
to by multiple directory entries; each directory entry pointing to the
file is called a "hard link," and the file maintains a count of how
many hard links point to it.  The file is deleted when that count
reaches zero.  So to delete a file, you delete the directory entry
pointing to it, which means modifying the directory.