Answer: default buttons

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Mar 9 06:19:39 EST 2005

Ken Ray wrote:

>On 3/8/05 4:57 PM, "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net> wrote:

>>Does anyone know of a way to coax the "answer" command into using a
>>button other than the last one specified as the default?  This behavior
>>stands in the way of compliance with Apple's HI Guidelines:
>>
>>In Chapter 11 ("Layout Examples"), there is a statement that the
>>"action button" for an alert (the button which completes the action
>>initiated by the user, the one which triggered the display of the
>>alert), should always be the rightmost button in the alert, even though
>>it is *not* always the default button (the one triggered by
>>enter/return) -- in some cases, such as actions which may result in
>>data loss, the guidelines specifically state that the default action
>>should be something else, normally "Cancel".
>>

>Frank, do you have a real-life example of where this appears?

Anything like the standard "save as" dialog, where the user specifies a
filename which already exists.

This brings up a dialog box which says something like
 "File abc.txt already exists. Do you want to overwrite it ?" with
choices "Yes" and "No".

The choice to complete the user action would be "yes", but the default
would be "no".

(OK my example is actually a Windows one - but the equivalent must exist
on Mac).