Learning Revolution

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 23:24:19 EST 2005

The (mission critical) app. that I'm going to be moving from HC to
another environment has thousands or cards in it.  Actually, it has
tens of thousands of cards in it, but I've separated them into
multiple stacks because there are logical reasons (time based) to do
so.

So, one of the first things I tried in RR was to create a stack with
around 50,000 cards, put the id of the card into a field, then
randomly pick a card in the stack, change the value in the field, go
back to the first card and do a find for the value I was looking for.

Searching through thousands of cards for a value in a field, or to
pick a string out of a text field that is several lines long is part
of what this stack does.

Is it fast now?  On a Quadra 604?  Hell no.  However, if we ignore the
documentation issues for a minute, the justification for RR would be
that instead of rewriting this application in another environment with
a better database would be that we can port it to RR, use RR to port
it to various platforms, run it more or less intact, and gain a speed
improvement in the process.  Interestingly to the powers-that-be, if
it is possible to port this application to RR, and run the new
application on the same machine then we have some extra value that RR
is adding.  The potential to run the app. on our existing (old) Macs,
as well as newer ones, PC's, and our HP-UX workstations all make RR
intriguing, especially in light of the fact that the language is a
HT-takeoff, which means that if we can get past the documentation
issues, we have a tool that we can teach other people to use quickly,
provided that they actually know how to type, since TS is verbose as
HT was.

No, I'm not interested in using RR with an SQL back-end.  There is
nothing compelling about this arrangement., especially since there are
a myriad of other tools that can do the same thing that we already
have in house, including 4D, which has the DB engine built-in, and is
definitely a more polished, more developed, and more sophisticated
tool for such an application.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."