Learning Revolution

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:19:37 EST 2005

This is similar to an issue I have with the tool that I use
extensively right now, and the problem is common.  That tool is the
one I had to learn as HC faded into obscurity.  In that environment
(4D) we call it the Tao of 4D.  That was a term coined by one of the
founders of the company.  The Tao of 4D is the crap that you have to
learn through experience, trial, error, etc.  It is stuff that isn't
documented anywhere.  It is stuff that will kick your ass and drive
you crazy until you test your way through and figure it out.  Noobs
spend years fighting the Tao, mainly because they don't understand it.
 It is mythical and poorly defined, but 4D Dans (black belts) can
sometimes swoop in with an explanation and help the various people at
whatever Kyu (uh, that would be color belt) a certain individual is
at.  Sometimes these things are described as bugs.  Many probably are.
 However, they are issues that are ingrained in the fabric of the
cloth of the tool, which is why TS often quickly sidesteps the issue
of identifying a behavior as a bug and instead focuses on developing a
workaround.

Many of these issues have to do with the philosophy behind the design
of particular features.  The issues are complicated and often
interrelated.  As part of the RR documentation project, a Tao project
is a must.

In the 4D community I've often thought about building a Tao of 4D
website, which would have these caveats listed.  Perhaps y'all should
have one here as well.  I don't know enough about RR to tell if it's
an issue or not.

However, there is one item that I've already noticed (that is well
documented) that deserves further discussion:  the inheritence path
does not include keywords in RR, which is extraordinarily unfortunate,
IMHO.

As long as I'm on the topic of overwriting the functionality of a
particular keyword, I posted a question last week that has yet to be
answered.  Does anyone know which search algorithm is being used in
RR?  Searching seems sort of slow, leading me to believe that it isn't
Boyer-Moore-Sunday.

Oh, and welcome, fellow noob.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."