more rawkeydown problems

Wouter wouter.abraham at scarlet.be
Mon Mar 7 09:12:13 EST 2005

On 06 Mar 2005, at 20:04, J. Landman Gay wrote:

snip

> I'm not sure it is a bug, it is just the differences between operating
> systems. The Rev engine just passes on the key codes that the
> operating system sends. If you have the MC IDE, see the "Character
> Chooser" in the MetaCard "Tools" menu for examples of these
> differences. Sometimes you can use the macToISO and ISOtoMac functions
> to translate between the character sets, but I don't think those
> functions work with non-ascii keystrokes.

> --

On 07 Mar 2005, at 00:23, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

snip

> While differences between keyboards & operating systems are annoying,
> the keys you are checking are mostly available using other messages.
> In NumLock is on, the numeric keys generate arrowKey messages and if
> NumLock is on, the number can be read directly in a keyDown or keyUp
> handler.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Thank you Jacqueline, Sarah and Tobi for your responses.

The rev rawkeydown handler reports a kind of "mixed" "raw" keys values:
ascii code and "raw" code in the range between 65000 - 65999.
Seeing Tobi's little app. (tnx Tobi) I'm inclined to think the values
of the rawkeydown handler in rev in the region above 65000 are due to
rev's own system of administering values to keys (but i'll be wrong ;-)
So I'm not sure this is due only to differences between operating
systems and by this not a bug.

If the help key is giving a value of "268762986" on mac os x, I
consider this not a correct value though it is unique for the help key
on mac os x.
The same for the `key in american qwerty keyboard layout, it should
give the ascii value and not a zero.
And so on...

Sarah you said:
  "In NumLock is on, the numeric keys generate arrowKey messages and if
NumLock is on, the number can be read directly in a keyDown or keyUp
handler"

On win yes but not on mac os x.
The numlockkey doesn't affect the value of the numerical keys on the
numerical keypad in mac os x.
And there is no numLockKey function we could use to poll the numLockKey
condition like there is a capsLockKey function.
(and the keyboard is not broken as the numlockkey works in win vpc)

Revolution, being a crossplatform RAD, should make keyboard input as
uniform as possible between platforms regarding it's own application
and offshoots.
But I'll refrain from bugzilla-ing until further notice.

Greetings,
Wouter