Resume Next? (now rather OT)

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Sat Mar 5 08:45:25 EST 2005

Your biggest advantage here is the fact that you can use strings as
case selectors (they are not an ordinal type and so cannot be used in
Pascal); otherwise:

CASE animalType OF
     'lion', 'tiger': doCaseLionOrTiger;
     'koala':
         BEGIN
             doCaseKoala;
             doCaseBear
         END;
     'bear': doCaseBear;
     OTHERWISE doSomethingElse
END;

And as for the possibility of doCaseBear being multiple statements
long, Pascal does support nested subroutines, which can encapsulate
virtually any such condition, and even provide more local variables
solely for that block of code.  With a good optimizing compiler...

And as for the string issue, animalType could be something like:

TYPE
     animalTypes = (lion, tiger, koala, bear);

Oh, and alternatively:

CASE animalType OF
     'lion', 'tiger': doCaseLionOrTiger;
     'koala', 'bear':
         BEGIN
             IF animalType = 'koala' THEN doCaseKoala;
             doCaseBear
         END;
     OTHERWISE doSomethingElse
END;

So, a 'break' statement approach doesn't add any more capability than
Pascal offers (when combined with nested subroutines, at least).