Midi Comunications

Ben Fisher boinjyboing at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:48:29 EST 2005

Hi Mark,

I too am interested in MIDI, as I have an old Casio Midi keyboard that I use occasionally. It would be really cool to see how MIDIs work and write an editor. For the past couple of years I've been playing around with the idea but never found the time.

In older versions of Rev, there used to be a sample MIDI program. I think it lives at http://support.runrev.com/resources/unsupported.php This might be the first step in looking at the hex behind midis.

Most good midi editors have a "score view." (Of course they also cost $$$ and so I don't have them.) From playing the piano, I know how musical notation works and with a little effort could put something like that together (I.e. a program turning a list of notes into musical notation).

Maybe you could use Rev's read from port commands to get data from the MIDI port? These days, most MIDI devices use USB, and so I guess they are out of reach at least for now. If you learn something cool, please tell me at jamon.ben at gmail.com

-Ben