Record sound problem on Windows

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Thu Mar 3 15:39:48 EST 2005

This is a problem I noticed quite some time ago and ended up working
around it by using an alternate sound recording method (MCIsendstring).
I see the problem still exists and I'm hoping someone knows how to
address it so that the Record Sound File command can be used safely
under XP. It only occurs on XP (not OS X).

Conditions:
Using Record Sound File command.
Recordformat set to "wave"
Recordcompression set to any of the standard Quicktime compression types

Recording a sound file for longer than 45-60 seconds invokes Windows to
display a dialog box, "running out of disk space." After 90 seconds or
so, the system becomes unstable and often crashes. Anyone else
encounter this.... and know a workaround?

Thanks.
Richard Miller