ANN: PlCard library and a smaple "Pyramid" game

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Mar 1 17:41:12 EST 2005

Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Severe time waster alert :-) At first I thought the game was broken,
> but then I managed to win one, so all was well...
>
> This is great Alex, and it ran and looked fine under Mac OS X although
> the shuffling & dealing animations were a bit slow.

Hmmm - I *need* to buy a Mac Mini to check that out. Don't I ? :-)

> The only problem I had was when I opened the library stack to have a
> look and it drew the empty pyramid in the library stack, then gave a
> script error because it couldn't find some object.

Yes, I see that problem too, thanks. I have a theory about it, but it
doesn't quite convince me .....

The library stack is - for my development purposes - a separate stack,
in a separate file. Since that would cause problems for RevOnline (and
to a lesser extent for Dreamcard Player), I moved the library stack into
the main file (as a sub-stack) to do the release. I think that when you
open the library stack, RR is sending an "openstack" - the library stack
has no such handler but because it is now a proper sub-stack, the
application's "opencard" handler is in the path, so it is being run
instead.  ?!

Is that what would happen ?
If so - what's the standard technique to deal with it ?
  An empty "openstack" handler ?
  And should there, therefore, also be empty "preopenstack", "opencard",
etc. handlers in any library stack, least it become a sub-stack and
subsequent;y cause a problem like this ?