Rev in CGI

Mark Waddingham 36degrees at runrev.com
Tue Mar 1 04:36:09 EST 2005

>From what I recall of PHP's implementation of session globals it's
actually really simple - indeed a Transcript library could be written to
do something similar.

When a session is initiated, depending on variables that are set, PHP
creates a unique session identifier and either passes this as a cookie,
a GET variable, or POST variable. Then, on termination of the script, it
writes the values of all the session variables to a file keyed by the
session identifier. Upon loading of the script, if a session identifier
is present in some form as described above, it looks up the session,
does a few security checks and then loads the variables from the
appropriate file.

Obviously, this is quite a terse overview, and some general house-
keeping is needed but the idea is simple enough :o)

Warmest regards,

Mark.