design problem: fonts and spacing

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Thu Jun 30 18:04:15 EDT 2005

Charles,
     What you are doing would be much easier with a monospaced font. Courier
is the only one distributed on all platforms and, yes, it IS ugly. It also
prints a bit differently on different platforms and different printers.
     Bitstream Vera is an opensource, cross-platfrom typeface that has a
monospaced font. Of course the problem there is that your users would have to
install this font on their systems to use your software.
     I'd suggest closing your eyes and selecting Courier. I don't think any
sizes, the real problem is the spaces - which print differently on different
printers.
Paul Looney