How do I make simple multiple user access app?

keith keith at vortex.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 17:09:20 EDT 2005

>>This is a simple data capture tool which creates a new card for
>>each chunk of data that's entered (details on a new product) and
>>spits out a tab-delimited text file to be sent off to another
>>organisation for their use.

>>It is likely to be left open on someone's screen, but it is also
>>likely to be needed by one or two other people at the same time.

>It's not clear to me if more than one user needs to add new cards to the app.

Hi Rob. Yes, unfortunately they do. I'm considering an interim
solution which would simply involve a custom property which flags
whether the stack is opened or not (updated on openStack and
closeStack), but I'm not sure how to get the property without opening
the stack first.

Perhaps I just open it (invisibly?) and then close it again with a
message if it then sees that the stack is opened by someone else? (I
guess also allowing an override in case it wasn't closed properly.)
It is a very small group of people who'd use the final product.
Maybe make it read-only in some way rather than refusing all access...

The various solutions that have been suggested all have their merits,
I know, but this needs to be a simple solution. I'm doing this partly
as an exercise in seeing how easy Revolution is for someone with no
relevant experience *whatsoever* but with a guide at their elbow: I'm
helping my wife make something for her work. :-)

Personally, knowing something of what's needed, I'd have put a
PHP/MySQL solution at the top of the list if it was my own project.
But that requires more resources than are available for that office,
and my wife wouldn't speak to me for a week if I even suggested she
do it that way!
Revolution seems to have what she needs (and far, far more, I know;
I'm not putting it down at all), and it is a very educative
experience for me to walk her through the process.
The thing is, I'm also trying to stay as many steps ahead as possible
so I don't lead her down any blind alleys - and I'm far more used to
SuperCard than Revolution. I will keep trying things for myself of
course, but I may need to call upon the list's patience again at some
point!