TAO-O

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu Jun 30 10:14:31 EDT 2005

[resend]
> Xavier,
>
> I am investigating your ideas... is the taoo also related to the tao:

only in some top-view concepts. No C++, no Corba - yet - but this is not
hard in RR - and there is an Object Broker ;)

> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html
> "A decade of intense R&D on these topics has yielded ACE,
> which is an object-oriented framework that implements many
> core patterns for concurrent communication software. We have
> applied the patterns and components in the ACE framework to
> develop The ACE ORB (TAO), which is our standards-based,
> CORBA middleware framework that allows clients to invoke
> operations on distributed objects without concern for object
> location, programming language, OS platform, communication
> protocols and interconnects, and hardware. TAO is designed
> using the best software practices and patterns that we have
> discovered in our work on ACE in order to automate the
> delivery of high-performance and real-time QoS to distributed
> applications."

TAOO is not yet that big - or oriented that high - but it may
come one day... I try to buid the bottom layers so that the
top layers find no limits. The Object Orientedness is based
on the "associative" features of OOP. Meaning that objects RR
might manipulate can be isolated in a dynamic-loading class.

> Okay, I am interested in all that and I believe that RR is
> ideal for this kind of project.

so do i :)

> But from your cms, the poor psychologist I am couldn't really
> understand  how the TAOO should be used and how users should
> contribute (and what). Is there a strategic plan somewhere?
> Is there a page linking to all documents about the taoo?

I wish i had spent more time on the documentation but the
design was not finished. Also i did draw the plans, structures,
relationships etc but on paper. Later i tried to put them into visio to get
a "big" plan - but the issue is that the plan can apply to "any" object.

So what is the object? And that's where you missed the point maybe. The
object is the "record" or the group of records (stack, file or db based) and
the object relationships are based on the information itself taht the object
contains. Which is why I term TAOO a "Context" oriented OS.

Who cares about objects anymore? The real economic value of data is in the
content!

> My view on this is that if you spend a bit of time developing
> a sound infrastructure in which others can contribute (rather
> than be ready to do it all by yourself), you will get your
> project taking off a lot more rapidly.

I wish. It's ready for release any day! Updated every day but the thing is
too many have complained about the GUI. So im working on it so they stop
thinking of just candy and get to dig in the insides.

I know documentation is my weak link. Which is why i made the TAOO
documentation stack to explain the terms and have them related with others
so you could easily see the links.

Another thing about the documentation is that when i write it, i get 20
ideas per page, and can't continue without first writing those ideas down -
and my build-as-you-think-about-it process starts over again ;)

Seriously speaking, the many modules of TAOO are finished or near. Some like
Objects (and object templates), Groups, Categories, DBOs (database objects
incl. APIs), and Menus are still being rewired - takes time... Everyday, i
get closer.

I wish others would join in and try to discover - as scripters - the
environment. Between my ideology and my "put it in script" there is just a
matter of time.

> About Xanadu... do you have any idea on how to implement it with mc or
> rr(practically)

Well, in the end that's what TAOO does ;) Xanadu is half CMS, half OOP in a
way. When i started reading about it in Wired, it was so parallel to XOS
(taoo at the time). When i went to do the research, i saw that it was quite
disparate however in terms of showing an concrete examples.

TAOO works already and since the late 80's as i've said before. It's not
finished - it's evolving! I do that as i need one or the other function -
but always using the same logic or Object approach.

Making that possible (like adding a needed menu) requires that there is a
solid library under. So before i release it i would rather finish those
parts unless anyone wants to help. I've released a few modules (the xos
medialib, the documentation, the file browser, the discrete browser to see
if there is interest but it's far from motivating considering only a handful
of persons have really expressed an indirect interest. Like i said, TAOO is
ready to be released but only for those interesting in helping...

cheers
Xavier