design problem: fonts and spacing

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Jun 30 09:51:57 EDT 2005

On Jun 30, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Mark Greenberg wrote:

> Charles,
>     I'd be tempted to show the stressed syllables in bold or blue
> or some other visually different format within the line.  That way
> the text and the scansion line will never be out of sync.  This
> solution won't account for consecutive syllables of similar stress
> though.

I'm afraid that won't work -- first, because of the problem you note,
and second, because this tutorial is meant to teach the traditional
method(s) of scansion, and this system of notation is very firmly
established in the tradition.

>     You might want to explore two other possible ways to solve the
> problem: Unicode probably has a diacritic mark for the traditional
> stressed and unstressed symbols, and there is a way to get the
> pixel coordinates of a particular character, though I don't recall
> the function's name.  Perhaps someone on the list can tell what the
> function is.  Then you could line up the text and scan lines.  (I
> used the latter for math equations in which one number must line up
> vertically with another.  As I recall, it worked well.)

I guess I don't quite see how that would work in detail, but I can
look for it. It sounds, though, like an _awful_ lot of very finicky
work, on every individual example, of which there are a pretty large
number.

Is there some HTML-tag or RTF-tag approach to this problem?

I gather that text in any field always _has_ both an HTML and a
Unicode representation, because you can always "get HTMLText" or "get
RTFText" on these properties. Are those stored with the text itself?
How _is_ text (in a field) stored internally by Rev? Knowing that
might help me figure out the most efficient way to specify spacing in
some parts of my text.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles Hartman