design problem: fonts and spacing

Mark Greenberg markgreenberg at cox.net
Thu Jun 30 09:34:16 EDT 2005

Charles,
	I'd be tempted to show the stressed syllables in bold or blue or some
other visually different format within the line.  That way the text and
the scansion line will never be out of sync.  This solution won't
account for consecutive syllables of similar stress though.
	You might want to explore two other possible ways to solve the
problem: Unicode probably has a diacritic mark for the traditional
stressed and unstressed symbols, and there is a way to get the pixel
coordinates of a particular character, though I don't recall the
function's name.  Perhaps someone on the list can tell what the
function is.  Then you could line up the text and scan lines.  (I used
the latter for math equations in which one number must line up
vertically with another.  As I recall, it worked well.)

		Mark Greenberg