How do I make simple multiple user access app?

keith keith at vortex.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 03:44:10 EDT 2005

I've been working things out as much as possible by using the
documentation and searching my email archives, but I'd appreciate
some live input on this if y'all don't mind!

What's the very simplest way to build a basic card database stack
which needs to be used by more than one person at once?

This is a simple data capture tool which creates a new card for each
chunk of data that's entered (details on a new product) and spits out
a tab-delimited text file to be sent off to another organisation for
their use.

There's probably no need to alter existing data, but it would be
necessary to let the user browse through previous entries. Easy
enough: previous/next, popup menu listing the cards by product title,
etc. We're talking just hundreds of items here, with simple
sub-categories to keep browsing manageable if it grows much beyond
that. But here's the twist...

It is likely to be left open on someone's screen, but it is also
likely to be needed by one or two other people at the same time. The
information (the cards with their fields and other controls) needs to
be collated/kept in one location (i.e. run from the local network
file server?), not as separate collections of data on different
'single user' machines.

To start with at least there's no chance of a true server database
such as MySQL. So, how is multiple user access handled in a situation
like this, where it is all down to Revolution? What's the simplest
solution, both in terms of ease of creation and robustness, that
you'd suggest? (This aspect could be done in FileMaker, but that app
just makes me want to scream when it comes to development control. It
is as inflexible and blinkered as Revolution is flexible and
open-ended! :-)

Thanks in advance, my fingers are crossed!