koan: how do uninstallers uninstall themselves?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 28 16:50:12 EDT 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, Richard Gaskin  wrote:
>

>>In my readings 'round the Net it seems acceptable to just leave the old
>>uninstaller in the Temp folder until the next time the user cleans that
>>folder out, but that doesn't feel proper to me.
>>
>>Is there a way for an app to delete itself?  Or to use some delayed
>>mechanism for doing so that doesn't require modifying any system files?
>

> I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading the Temp folder is
> automatically emptied at certain times, presumably when the number of files
> or filesize reaches a certain threshold.

Ah, that sounds logical.  I had read about some cases where Win would
empty Temp, but never came across the rules for determining when that
happens.  I've read enough cases where people's Temp folder got pretty
big (500+mb), so I'm not sure if the threshold is automatically set, but
I'll buy it for now.

All I need is a justification for writing my own installer.  I love
WiseInstall but I need greater automation given the number of installers
I make, and a Rev-based solution can let me use the same engine for the
installer, the application, and the uninstaller, so the increase in
download size would be trivial.

As long as it's considered acceptable to leave obsolete apps in Temp I'm
quite happy to do so, and excited about the possibility for automating
the second-to-last thing in my build process not currently automated.

Now on to the last one:  How can I script OS X's Disk Utility to
automate making DMGs with custom backgrounds, window rects, etc.?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation