Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Bob Warren warren at howsoft.com
Tue Jun 28 16:27:43 EDT 2005

Dear Chipp,

When I made my suggestion, I asked myself a question: "What's better, a
simple system that is reliable or a more complex system that often fails?"
Just try the example I cited in my first e-mail:

1) Type IF....THEN [enter]
2) Type ENTER again to make a blank line
3) Type END IF

e.g.

If myVar = 99 then

End if

...and then try to insert the middle of the sandwich to make it complete:

If myVar = 99 then
    Do something
End if

There are many other examples like this. Of course, I have no objection in
relation to the principle of auto-formatting, just the practice! I think
that what is involved here is the old story that those who have used Rev for
a long time have unconsciously learned to avoid its potholes. Less
experienced users suffer more. Why shouldn't I be able to do an "if-then" as
I described above? I didn't have any trouble at all doing it in the very
editor I am using to write this e-mail! You say, "...but a quick touch of
the 'tab' key should autoformat the code you're working on". I agree that it
should, but the fact is that it often doesn't, or at least not correctly.

Another kind soul on the List recommended 'Constellation' to me last night
and I have already acquired it. It does not suffer many of the problems that
the Rev editor suffers. On the other hand, the question of the Rev script
editor is the same as the question of the whole IDE and the Transcript
language: I love it all. IF ONLY THEY WOULD DEBUG THE DAMN THING!!!

In a certain psychological theory related to motivation at work, money is
not described as "motivating". Instead, it is defined as a "hygiene factor".
What this means is that other aspects of the job are required to provide
motivation, but that money, if insufficient, can be DEmotivating. I see an
exact parallel here to the relationship between Rev's "new features" and its
bugs. New features (such as the recently-launched "Tiger") may be motivating
to some, but hardly to Windows users (a potential majority). One top of
that, Windows users do not have sufficient "hygiene" in their situation in
the form of debugging which in the opinion of all (except the powers that
be) is totally inadequate. For example, as I complained recently to the
"powers", how is it possible that something as fundamental and crucial as
the declaration of Global variables only half works and has always been the
same? It is beyond my comprehension.