Suggestion for correcting the IDE's script editor

Bob Warren warren at howsoft.com
Tue Jun 28 14:39:16 EDT 2005

Dear All,

My original e-mail suggesting how the Rev editor could be reviewed is
obviously open to misinterpretation, so I think a summary of a few points
would help.

1. Obviously, debugging the existing Rev editor is important.
It gets confused far too often.

2. It could well be simplified by not attempting to analyse the content of
what is being typed (with the exception of the beginning and end of a new
handler).

3. Though I am no great fan of Microsoft, their VB6 editor is good enough to
be imitated, and it works perfectly.

4. The main functioning of the VB6 editor is that lines created above or
below an existing line adopt the same indentation initially. Such
indentation can be changed immediately without any trouble.

The keys mentioned in my previous e-mail simply refer to the common keys
used for navigation in any text editor.
I think I made the mistake of trying to provide a summary spec for a
VB6-type editor in Rev instead of just saying, "Go and look at VB6 and do
something like that".