mysql oddities

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Jun 25 11:57:21 EDT 2005

On Jun 24, 2005, at 12:55 AM, Howard Freeman wrote:

> I've been using rev to link up to MySQL for a while but I've just
> changed my web space supplier and I can't connect to MySQL. I
> thought that this was their problem but it's stranger than that.
>
> If I use the database query builder then the connection is made and
> I can see the tables and fields and can query the database. When I
> try to do the same thing in my own stack - and those of other
> people who use MySQL - I get connection errors. What I'd really
> like to do is get inside the database query builder to find out
> what commands it is using to connect to my database.

The query builder uses the revdb library to connect so it isn't doing
anything special.  If you can connect using the query builder but not
in your own code then I would check that you have the parameters in
the right place and the right order.  What kind of error are you
getting?

> Alternatively, can someone provide some tips about the port
> variable in the revopendatabase function? I'm just putting the port
> number as a colon and number immediately after the host url and I'm
> sure this is right, eg :3337. Is there any other way to write it?

That is what revOpenDatabase is expecting so that shouldn't be the
problem.  I'm assuming you are passing it like this:

put revOpenDatabase("mysql", "db.myhost.com:3306", "myDBName",
"USERNAME", "PASSWORD", true)

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia