Confirm Long File Name Bug in Player Object

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Jun 23 18:38:47 EDT 2005

Recently, Dar Scott  wrote:

>> I would set this at Blocker status because it prevents playback of
>> otherwise
>> playable media.
>
> I don't agree with that.
>
> First of all, somebody will have a workaround command (3 minutes; 17
> lines) shortly after I mail this.
>
> Second, "blocker" means it blocks development & testing.  The developer
> can temporarily shorten the names and continue development and testing
> until a workaround or fix is available.
>
> Or did I miss something?

Perhaps.  I can see two ways of looking at this: managing your own media and
managing users' media.

Changing filenames of your own media may be acceptable but changing
filenames of a users media is a really bad idea.  If you change a filename
and for whatever reason you are unable to restore to the original name, I
can imagine the user being extremely upset.

If you want to deliver a media player now, the only way around this is to
have your app duplicate the user's media somewhere on their drive, rename
it, and then make sure to delete the duplicate when you're done.  For a few
files, one by one, this might be OK, but I question whether this is a valid
workaround for potentially dozens of multi-megabyte files.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design