the := operator (affectation

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Thu Jun 23 15:57:04 EDT 2005

Dar,

I am not arguing for "=", I am arguing for "gets" and some shortcut
that suits, if any.  "Gets" is a cousin of "get" command that is
already a left assignment operator.  It does not introduce a new
concept to the syntax, but just makes the "get" construct more
general.  I actually find  it a bit awkward when I have used the "get
x" construct, then decide later to use another variable instead of
"it".  The editing is a lot more than just changing variable names.
I have even taken to "put x into it" on occasion, just so I can more
easily change my mind later.  I would be happy to be able to change
"get x" to "myVariable gets  x".

Dennis